We are off to sunnier climes next week! I cannot wait. It will be our first Summer overseas holiday as a family and the boys first trip to France. Excited, us? Of course we are!
We are on a road trip for two weeks, first catching the overnight Brittany Ferry from Portsmouth to Santander, Northern Spain. I have heard mixed things about this journey, mostly to be prepared for a very choppy ride. I must remember to pack / take travel sickness remedies before hand – if anyone has any tips on this please help?
So our journey starts and ends in Santander… our route is shown in the map below by the red line:
Yeah, there is a lot of driving, and miles to cover, but we hope to stop in small villages, eat fresh produce and wild swim to cool down – thank goodness the car has air con. The car has been checked over by national.co.uk, and is looking good. No breaking down abroad please!
It’s my first time to this region of France, and completely unsure of what to do, or what to expect – that just adds to the adventure! I want to see beautiful gardens, farm buildings with pretty doors, fields of lavender and sunflowers, swim in the mountains and eat peaches from the market. I want to speak my terrible Franglaise and order local wine. Eat cheese and fresh bread under a tree. Wander around a small brocante finding treasure to bring home. Above all I want to make magical memories with my boys.
Our itinerary a the moment is:
- Arrive in Santander – drive to Bilbao.
- two nights in Bilbao to visit the Guggenheim and explore this vibrant City
- drive across the border of Spain into France
- Spend two nights in Pau with my dear friend Cathy who is holidaying there.
- Drive to Carcassonne to stay in a pretty B&B for two nights
- Then drive northwards to stay one night in Toulouse
- Then two nights in a treehouse
- Back down for three nights in a yurt
- Drive to Biarritz to stay for one night and explore
- Drive back over the border to Spain – explore this coastline
- Ferry from Santander to Plymouth & home
With just a small amount of spoken French among us, I hope we can pull this off without getting lost! This road trip has the bones of being epic!
If anyone has some insider knowledge on this region, where to eat, visit, explore, swim – please do let me know…. follow our adventures by visiting the hashtag on IG and twitter – #lgsadventures2015