Sometimes I have to pinch myself at how lucky life is. I have always had a fascination with Morocco since I was a teen, loving the décor, the mysticism, the rich earthy colours. Marrakesh seems a world away from Bristol – a place of extremes. It has been firmly on my travel bucket list forever, but never have I found the time or opportunity to travel there – until now.
My dear friend Emma Rice, who writes the delicious Owl Blog and also owns the dreamy Owl in the Ivy lifestyle store in Bath, has a ongoing love affair with ‘kesh. She travels back and forth several times a year for work and personal expeditions – this girl has Morocco in her soul.
So, long story short, she has cleverly organised a five night cultural expedition to Marrakesh and the Atlas Mountains and has asked me to assist her! OMG yes please! Let me tell you more about it, Emma writes:
Expedition Morocco – 1st June – 6th June 2016
Five nights of cultural and culinary wonderment; an opportunity to meet create and explore Marrakesh and its countryside.
Against the backdrop of the Medina’s medieval streets, we will gather at an elegant raid for three nights of photography, feasts and discovery. Exploring the poetry of this ancient city and its many treasures.
From there we will move to a storied setting perched in the Atlas mountains. In contrast to the hustle and bustle of Marrakesh, we will enjoy getting lost in a landscape unchanged since the mountains themselves were born. Here we will explore the true meaning of relaxation as we will soak in our surroundings, enjoy meals prepared from the kitchen garden and take-in rural life.
In addition to all meals and shared accommodation, this course will offer the chance for a guided expedition through Marrakesh, photography & styling sessions, cooking demonstrations & a glimpse at life in the beautiful country of Morocco. We hope you will join us as we lead you through the maze of the souks and their many offerings. There will be a focus on photography and food styling instruction. Follow a guided street photography expedition in the the Souk and a gentle trek through Moroccan mountain villages in the Atlas Mountains. You will have the chance to learn more about the local cuisine through a Moroccan cooking demonstration with the fabled Hadijja as well as countless other culinary and cultural expeditions.
Sounds divine, doesn’t it? I will be joining the team of Emma Rice, The Secret Souk and my pal Hannah Bullivant (who will be leading a styling workshop). Me? Well I will be talking all things social media and iphoneography, taking a walk through the souk and discussing ways to photograph the sights and how to use these images on your Instagram and social platforms.
Want to join us? Of course you do!
There are two ticket options:
3 night expedition in Marrakesh
Join us for 3 nights in Marrakesh Morocco (1st – 4th of June) for a comprehensive styling and photography expedition. Against the backdrop of the ancient city of Marrakesh we will share our knowledge, experience and understanding of photography & the creative process with you.
* Stay in a beautiful boutique riad in central Marrakesh.
- Discover your visual style and personal voice.
- Create, shoot & style still life scenes and we will discuss the use of natural light, camera mechanics, prop selection and scene creation.
- Learn the art of Iphoneography, in particular street and travel photography on outings into the city.
- There will be a trip to the la Jardin Majorelle, the private home of Yves St. Laurent.
- We will also lead you on a guided tour through the Medina. As we explore the winding maze of medieval streets, you will have the opportunity to view a vast selection of wares.
- Learn about sourcing for props or other creative endeavours and maybe make a purchase or two if something catches your fancy.
* Feast – Evenings will be spent gathered around the table at the Riad or in one of Morocco’s gorgeous restaurants. We will have ample time to enjoy one another company, consider the days events and engage in lively discussions. Additionally one night there will be a cooking demonstration delving into the cuisine and food culture of Marrakesh.
5 nights expedition Marrakesh & the Atlas Mountains
Five nights of cultural and culinary wonderment; an opportunity to meet create and explore Marrakesh and its countryside, includes the 3 nights expedition (above) plus an extra 2 nights in the foothills of the Atlas Mountains.
Follow a guided street photography expedition in the Souk and a gentle trek through Moroccan mountain villages in the Atlas Mountains. You will have the chance to learn more about the local cuisine through a Moroccan cooking demonstration with the fabled Hadijja as well as countless other culinary and cultural expedition.
More details of how to book for these expeditions can be found on Emma’s website.
We hope to see you there!
Images credit: Emma Rice.
Lou Archell, a writer, photographer, stylist and founder of Littlegreenshed. A UK lifestyle & travel blog
Lou is also a busy mum of two amazing boys and the founder of Sisterhood Camp – an annual creative retreat for recharging and empowering brilliant ladies, Lou is passionate about supporting and inspiring others whether through her workshops, writing, photography or lifestyle hacks.