I have a bit of a love affair with beetroot, to me, eating it feels positively saintly. It’s rich earthy taste and bright pinkness ticks all my boxes. Pair it with sweet potato, this soup is abundant in the antioxidant beta-carotene plus a healthy dose of folic acid from the beetroot.
The cinnamon gives this dish that extra taste and needed iron, calcium and manganese. It helps stabilise blood sugar levels, which is great for weight loss. Oh yeah!
Optionally you can top it with some fresh yoghurt or add a slice of crusty sourdough bread. I prefer it without, as I’m trying to cut back on both dairy and wheat (but boy do I miss bread).
Beetroot & Sweet Potato Soup
- 500ml of vegetable stock
- 1 sweet potato
- 4 beetroots, cooked without vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Peel and cut up the beetroot and sweet potato into bite size pieces
- On a medium heat add the oil, the sweet potato, beetroot, chilli flakes, salt and cinnamon to the pan. Sauté all the veggies for 5-10 minutes
- Add the stock and bring it to a boil, then remove the pan from the heat and blend the mixture with a hand blender or food processor until the soup is smooth
- Return the mixture to a medium heat and cook for another 10 minutes, then serve hot