School finishes today! Yes! Two weeks with my guys at home, we are all getting super excited!!! But, it also fills me with worry and dread, with the finishing off of my freelance work, and juggling entertaining my boys too.
By now, I should have this situation sorted, Charlie is 10 and I’ve been freelancing now for 4 years. So this juggle during school holidays is always present. This Christmas I am planning a few ways of dealing with the work / family life balance…
Top tips for juggling family / work over the Christmas holidays…
- Make breakfast an event. Waffles, pancakes, poached eggs on toast. Allow that morning ritual to linger, and make plans for the day.
- Be honest with your kids – tell them you need to have a few hours a day to work and they need to occupy themselves whilst you work. Lego, movies or drawing for example.
- Make a plan that after breakfast to get out of the house. Go for a walk in the woods, ice skating, the park. Get out and get some fresh air. Wear them out!
- Home for the afternoon. This is YOUR time to work. Take yourself to your study / bedroom – away from the areas your child will want to come and chat. Explain to the children you are now working. And they can only interrupt if it is urgent.
- Make sure they are occupied – Christmas movies are your friend. Sit them down with popcorn and pop on a film. You have now precisely 90 minutes without interruption to crack on with work.
- Work in the evening if you have to. Once they have gone to bed, you can catch up on a few emails.
- Don’t stress it. Put an ‘out of office’ reply to your emails, and do only the urgent stuff.
Here are some of my top 10 ten Christmas family movies…
- Home Alone
- The Polar Express
- The nightmare before Christmas
- Arthur Christmas
- The Snowman
- The Gruffalo
- The Grinch
- Merry Madagascar
If you have any tips on coping with work and family this Christmas, please do let me know.
Images are via Unsplash.